In the modern era, choosing sustainable skincare products is more than just a trend. It is a statement of conscious living. With the cosmetics industry seeing a significant shift towards natural, vegan, and zero-waste options, face washes have been a focal point of transformation.
Consider these impacts of conventional face washes:
- Planet: Each year, over 8 million tons of plastic end up in the oceans, a significant portion of which comes from cosmetic packaging, diminishing the health of marine ecosystems.
- People: Conventional face washes and other personal care products often contain harsh chemicals such as phthalates that affect human and marine life.
- Animals: Many conventional cosmetic products, including cleansers, are tested on animals, causing the suffering of animals each year despite the availability of cruelty-free and vegan alternatives.
Embark on a journey with us as we introduce options that prioritize the health of the planet, its people, and its creatures.
These are ten sustainable face washes we recommend:
- Cleansing Face Balm by Upcircle
- Facial Cleanser Starter Set by Blueland
- Face Wash by Plaine Products
- Sea to Skin Cleansing Gel by Activist Skincare
- Ocean Cleanser by Osea
- Bamboo Charcoal & Tea Tree Facial Soap by Ecoroots
- Gentle Solid Face Cleanser by Ethique
- Juniper Bergamot Face Cleanser by Meow Meow Tweet
- Gentle Cleansing Foam by Rituals
- Amazing Face Cleanser by Aesop
Cleansing Face Balm by Upcircle
- Certifications | B Corp (96.3 Score); Leaping Bunny; Plastic Negative
- Suitable for | All skin types, including sensitive skin
- Shop At | us.upcirclebeauty.com / Amazon
Facial Cleanser Starter Set by Blueland
- Certifications | B Corp (94.7 Score); Cradle to Cradle (Silver Score); Leaping Bunny; Climate Neutral; MADE SAFE
- Suitable for | All skin types; hypoallergenic
- Shop At | Blueland.com
Blueland’s Facial Cleanser is a powder-based formula that, once mixed with water, becomes a non-foaming gel. Activation for use takes one hour after the mixture is shaken for 10 seconds. Formulated with ingredients such as oats, vitamin E, and coconut acid, this cleanser is gluten, soy, and nut-free. It doesn´t contain aluminum, sulfates, parabens, phthalates, dyes, silicones, or PEGs. It is also fragrance-free and hypoallergenic, but consider that it contains synthetic ingredients and isn’t all-natural. Also, Blueland may replace certain items on its ingredient list with sustainable palm oil.
In the U.S., only 5% of plastic waste undergoes recycling. Thanks to Blueland’s refill system, however, you can reduce single-use plastic consumption in your life, preventing more waste from ending up in landfills. Additionally, the company’s commitment to cruelty-free practices is verified by its Leaping Bunny certification, ensuring no animal testing is conducted on its products.
Face Wash by Plaine Products
- Certifications | B Corp (89.9 Score); 1% For the Planet; Leaping Bunny
- Suitable for | All skin types; all genders
- Shop At | Plaineproducts.com (use code “Ecolife” for 20% off) / zerowastestore.com / earthhero.com
Sea to Skin Cleansing Gel by Activist Skincare
- Certifications | 1% For the Planet
- Suitable for | All skin types
- Shop At | Activistskincare.com
Ocean Cleanser by Osea
- Certifications | Climate Neutral, Ocean Positive
- Suitable for | Normal to combination skin types; non-gender specific
- Shop At | Oseamalibu.com / Amazon
OSEA’s Ocean Cleanser is a gluten-free and vegan skincare product that is free from palm oil, heavy metals, PEGs, parabens, and phthalates. The ingredients list does, however, contain synthetic ingredients such as sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate, meaning that it’s not fully natural.
To reduce greenhouse gas emissions throughout the production cycle, the company prioritizes the use of alternative materials over virgin plastic and paper. Furthermore, they´ve partnered with TerraCycle for their recycling program.
Bamboo Charcoal & Tea Tree Facial Soap by Ecoroots
- Certifications | 1% For the Planet
- Suitable for | All skin types, but best for oily skin; non-gender specific
- Shop At | ecoroots.us
Gentle Solid Face Cleanser by Ethique
- Certifications | B Corp (score 117.9), Leaping Bunny
- Suitable for | Normal to dry and sensitive skin
- Shop At | Ethique.com / Amazon
Juniper Bergamot Face Cleanser by Meow Meow Tweet
- Certifications | B Corp (score 86.3); Leaping Bunny; 1% For the Planet
- Suitable for | Oily, combination, and blemish-prone skin
- Shop At | Meowmeowtweet.com
Gentle Cleansing Foam by Rituals
- Certifications | B Corp (score 92.2)
- Suitable for | Normal skin type; primarily for women
- Shop At | Rituals.com / Amazon
Amazing Face Cleanser by Aesop
- Certifications | B Corp (score 87.1)
- Suitable for | oily, combination, and open-pored skin
- Shop At | Aesop.com / Amazon